Monday, November 5, 2007

Classic or Craft Pads?

I’ve had several of my customers question me about the difference between the Classic and Craft Stampin’ Pads and which I like better....so here's the scoop...

Classic Stampin’ Pads (Dye based ink):

Our Classic inks are dye based inks that are water soluble;
Dye inks are transparent and absorb into the paper;
Dye Inks dry quickly on all types of paper, making them easier to work with;
Dye inks are not waterproof and the colors will bleed if they get wet;
Dye inks are safe for scrapbooks but will fade over time; and
Dye inks work well on coated papers (Glossy Cardstock) but tend to run or bleed on highly absorbent papers.

Craft Stampin’ Pads (Pigment based ink):

Craft ink is pigment ink which is a dry, powdery agent that uses a binding agent to help it adhere to paper;
Pigment pads contain natural binding agents that are safe for use in scrapbooks;
Pigment ink sits on top of the paper and does not absorb;
Pigment ink is often preferred for scrapbooking because pigment inks are more resistant to fading than most dye inks, so you will get the longest-lasting color with Craft pads;
Pigment Inks take longer to dry and are a good choice to use as an embossing ink;
Pigments are more light and heat stable than most dyes, which makes pigment inks a good choice when your finished art will be displayed;
If heat-set, Pigment inks will resist all but the most deliberate efforts to smear them (such as wetting your finger and rubbing the ink); and
Heat-setting and air-drying produce the same color results.

All this being said, I prefer to use the Classic Ink for most of my stamping. I have used them almost exclusively since I started to stamp and scrapbook and in 6+ years have never seen any signs of fading. I love that they dry almost instantly, I don’t want to have to wait for my ink to dry before I can finish my projects.

I do use the Craft Inks and for certain projects they are the best choice. I love stamping a light color on a dark cardstock - pink will be very vibrant on black cardstock - and I love using them with clear embossing powder. The Craft Stampin' Spots are a GREAT choice if you don't use the pigment ink as often as the dye ink. You should try both to see which is right for you.

1 comment:

Courtney said...

This is a great list!