Wednesday, June 6, 2007

TUTORIAL: Bouncing Brayer

A little info first.....a past SU demo taught me how to do this and I took it and ran - THANKS SO MUCH JEAN!!!!
Supplies:
Glossy White Cardstock 5 1/2" x 4 1/4"
Spectrum Ink Pad
Brayer with rubber attachment












Ink up the brayer in the spectrum ink pad. Start with the left side of your brayer in the middle of the Glossy White cardstock. Tap your brayer on the cardstock going around in a circle. YOU MUST keep the left side of the brayer in the middle of the cardstock.













You don't roll the brayer at all. When your ink starts getting light, turn the brayer with your fingers.











Here's the really messy part - your fingers will look like this! I recommend rubber gloves. Be very careful not to touch your cardstock - you will leave finger prints.












This is what it looks like as you keep bouncing your brayer around in a circle.











Keep bouncing your brayer around in a circle, turning the rubber attachment with your fingers and reinking as necessary until you achieve the color intensity you desire.

Turn your brayered piece of glossy cardstock over and rub your hands over the back to blot off the ink that is still wet.













I cut my piece in half to measure 2 3/4" x 4 1/4".











Stamp your image with Black StazOn or another permanent fast drying ink.











Here are the cards completed:












This is a Trading Card for an upcoming swap that I'm involved in:









Some stampers have voiced frustration with this technique....the only thing you have to do is KEEP the left side of the brayer in the middle of the cardstock as you bounce it around in a circle. Practice, practice, practice - you'll get it!!!! Have fun stamping!
Here's a sample of what your piece will look like if you don't keep the left side of the brayer in the middle of the cardstock:











Last but definately not least - here's a picture of my assistant photographer and stamping partner - isn't she adorable!!!!! Future SU Demonstrator!












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kelly, wonderful tutorial! Beautiful samples!!!

Anonymous said...

I had never seen this technique before. I love it! Thanks so much for sharing it. Now I have to find my brayer so I can try this!!!