Monday, January 19, 2009

Faux Tearing Tutorial

This is a card that I came up with for my trip to Orlando for the Stampin' Up! Leadership Conference. There are several steps...but honestly...it did not take long to make 20 of these babies!

Ingredients:

Stamps: Nature Silhouettes; On Your Birthday; Wow Flowers; Sanded Background

Ink: Basic Black; Old Olive; Tangerine Tango

Cardstock: Whisper White; Chocolate Chip; Old Olive

Accessories: Pewter Build-A-Brads; Sponge; Dimensionals; 1 3/4", 1 3/8", 1 1/4" , 1" and 1/2" Circle Punches.

Start with Whisper White cardstock (cs) and sponge on some Tangerine Tango (remember, you can click on the photo to make it bigger).

DSC00408

Take a piece of regular copier paper and tear a piece wider than your Whisper White layer. Hold in place and sponge ink back and forth over the torn edge.

DSC00409

This is what it looks like.

DSC00410

Turn your torn edge around and repeat the sponging. You may want to tear another piece of paper so that the clouds don't end up looking so uniform.

DSC00411

This is what it looks like when you're done with that.

DSC00412

Make sure your Basic Black ink pad has lots of ink in it and stamp the tree image on the left edge. Notice that my tree didn't get exactly where I wanted it....I KNOW...you would think that I could get this perfect...but more often than not..I DID NOT! You can either sponge black ink onto the left edge and bottom or you can turn your stamp around and stamp onto that edge a little bit.

DSC00413

I needed this piece of cardstock to be wider than the image and because it would look funny if I didn't do something with all that blank space on the right side....I turned my stamp upside down and stamped the grass again - like this:

DSC00414

Now, it looks a little goofy with the grass being so flat here...so look at the second picture below this one....

DSC00415

...I inked up the stamp again and made the very tips of the tree branches appear to be weeds sticking up above the flat grass - looks much more natural!

DSC00416

You can see the weeds sticking up below. Now ink up your tree tips and stamp them around the top right edge and the right edge of your layer.

DSC00417

Stamp your Elk and WAAAA LAAAA! Again, make sure you have your Basic Black ink pad pretty juicy for this one....these are all pretty bold images.

DSC00420

Here are samples of the circle punches I used:

DSC00423

This is how I made the layer for my Build-A-Brad. I sponged some Whisper White cardstock with the Tangerine Tango and then stamped some tree branches and punched them out with the 1/2" Circle Punch - SIMPLE! I just add a little SNAIL Adhesive to the back of the punched circle and stick it to the brad - the little bubbles are self adhesive, so just set one on top and you're done! I love these things - they really add that WOW factor to your card!

DSC00421

TAAAaaaaaaaaaa DAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaa! Here it is!

DSC00424

Camera Problems.....I have to apologize for the poor quality of some of these photos - especially this one! I still don't have my FABULOUS Kodak camera back! I'm using a Sony Cybershot and I have to say - I HATE IT! You want me to tell you how I really feel? I HATE IT! It's a long story...but I bought one as a loaner while my baby was in the hospital and that thing was junk...I took it back a couple days before my Orlando trip - they said it was broken - and got a big Nikon....I took many pictures over the next few days and that camera was just so complicated that the night before I left - I called Best Buy and said I was coming in for a Kodak. This trip was too important to have a hit and miss camera.

Don't get me wrong - the Nikon was nice...but I didn't have time to learn everything I needed to know about this unit before I left for FL - not worth the hassle. So when I get to Best Buy - they don't have any Kodak's like mine - YIPEE! So I agreed to take another Sony Cybershot - this one was NOT broken....and away I went. I guess I'm just so spoiled with my big Kodak. Picture quality is soooooo important to me. Sometimes the Sony takes good pictures, sometimes it doesn't! My Kodak is incredible and I miss it soooooo much!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly - Thanks for sharing. I loved this card!